Tuesday 12 May 2015

M.E Awareness Week

This week is ME awareness week.

ME (Myalgic Encephalomyeltis) is an illness that is very close to my heart. In 2008 my Mum was diagnosed with the invisible illness and since then I have been learning more and more about the condition. 

I'm not a doctor but I will try my best to explain ME which is also known as CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). 

Lot's of people mistake this illness for people "just being tired all the time", however, it is a very serious illness that can leave some sufferers bed bound with the need for a full time carer. 

The illness can last for years, symptoms vary from person to person and often fluctuate, even daily.
The most common are: 

Extreme physical & mental fatigue
Muscle and joint pains
Flu-like symptoms
Headaches
Sensitivity to light and sound
Poor memory and concentration
Visual disturbances
Digestive disorders
Loss of balance and co-ordination
Sleep difficulties
Poor temperature control
Sore throat/swollen glands
Depression

The exact cause of ME is unknown but in my Mum's case (to put it simply), she caught the flu one day and after suffering badly, never fully recovered. 

ME can be seriously debilitating but because it is 'invisible', it doesn't get the awareness it deserves. 

My Mum works incredibly hard and is a very independent woman (who I have spent my life looking up too, and continue to do so), however she pays a huge price for this in the shape of her health and well-being. 

Pottering around the garden is one of my Mum's favourite hobbies, yet to spend a Sunday afternoon doing so she will be incredibly exhausted for the next few days. This is because she also earns a living, has a house to upkeep and laundry to wash. Unfortunately life doesn't stop or slow down for my Mum and she is a very strong woman to keep up with it all despite feeling like she has been hit by a truck 24/7. 

As well as this, my Mum has Fibromyalgia. This is a persistent (chronic) condition that causes pain all over the body. Alongside this, sufferers struggle with sleeping, have digestive problems and brain fog (problems with memory and concentration). 

Just because someone with ME looks ok on the outside, it doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with them. This is why more awareness is vital so more people can start to understand what the sufferers go through. 

My Mum runs the local support group for people  with ME and their carers. They meet once a month to offer support and encouragement to help those cope with the condition. 

On Thursday 14th May, the support group are holding a coffee morning event for ME sufferers, carers, friends and family. You don't have to suffer alone! To find out more information, check out the Swindon ME & Fibromyalgia Facebook page!

Visit the website for lots more information. 

And Mum, if you're reading this, I want you to know I am so so so proud to call you my Mum. You're the strongest, most selfless woman I know and I don't know what I'd do without you. You're amazing, I love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment