Monday 30 March 2015

Nail Care Routine


I try really hard to take good care of my nails so they stay strong and healthy. I much prefer growing out my own nails over wearing false ones as I feel it's quite an achievement to grow strong, healthy nails. 
You don't need to be a trained beautician or own expensive products to be able to keep your nails pretty and healthy. 
When I'm starting my DIY manicure I always make sure I've removed all trace of previous polish and washed my hands. 
I then file and shape my nails to make them look more identical and neat. I only ever cut my nails down short every now and again so they have a chance to regrow and gain strength. 
After filing, I use my cuticle pusher to push my cuticles back. From past experiences, I've learnt to be really gently at this stage. Next, I use the cuticle nippers to trim away all the dead skin. Again, this needs to be done carefully otherwise it can hurt! You can buy both these tools in high street drugstores or online
At this stage, I either dust my hands off or wash them again to get rid of the dead skins/nail filings. It's important that your nails are clean and dry at this point.

I then use Sally Hansen's VitaSurge Growth Gel which is brilliant for brittle nails. It has multi-active beads within the gel formula that release a surge of vitamins A, C & E to help nourish and treat nails to grow healthier and stronger. You can use this on bare nails or before/after you've painted your nails. For the best results, use it for 5 continuous days on bare nails. 
Once I've massaged the gel into my nails and allowed it time to absorb, I use the Sally Hansen's No More Breaks clear polish. It has an ultra-hardening formula that seals in moisture to strengthen and prevent nails from breaking. It's perfect for dry and brittle nails. It can be worn as a base coat and/or a top coat. Once this coat of polish has dried, I will move onto the last step in my routine or choose a coloured polished from my insanely large nail polish collection!
Last but by no means least, I will moisturise my hands. The lotion I've been using lately is the Fig & Rouge moisturising and soothing hand cream which I received in a GlossyBox. It smells incredible and reminds me of the sherbet dip sweets I used to love when I was younger! It absorbs into your skin really quickly and leaves your hands soft and smooth. I've been suffering with dry hands lately and this has really helped. It's also the perfect size for your handbag! 
What do you use to keep your nails strong & healthy? Leave me a comment below 😊 

Emma 
-x-







*Disclaimer - everything was bought with my own money and all opinions are my own*

16 comments:

  1. You've got pretty nails :) I should probably take care of them better than I do :p thank you for sharing! :) x
    | Life as a Petite || Fashion, Crafts & Lifestyle Blog |

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post, your nails look so good! I'm just looking at mine now as I type this and I really should go sort them out :p

    Indra
    www.aliceinbeautyland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hand cream is my favourite! Your nails are so nice, not fair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try that No More Breaks polish! I have super brittle nails, no matter what it seems :( I am always unable to grow them out, though I found a way to recently!! I have a gel polish kit, and instead of doing the whole routine of the base coat/color/topcoat, I just do the base coat which provides a ton of strength for my nails and then paint over top with regular polish. It keeps my nails from breaking and it's so nice to have long nails for once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah give it a go! Sally Hansen have a couple of products that do similar things to the No More Breaks. I have the a gell polish kit and yes I agree! My nails always feel much stronger when I use it, however taking it off tends to not help the condition of my nails! xx

      Delete
  5. Your nails are so pretty! I'll have to look into that growth gel, mine feel so short all the time! I also have really terrible cuticles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :) Sally Hansen has a few products that do a similar job and I really do feel that they work! x

      Delete
  6. Loved learning more about your nail care routine! My nails grow like weeds but often become brittle due to not keeping up with trimming since I have to do it so darn much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You should give the Sally Hansen products a go :) x

      Delete
  7. I have terrible nails, but I found that Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails really helps me keep mine tough and then I can grow them and not have to worry about chips, cracks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Hard as Nails too! I love her products! :)

      Delete
  8. Your nails look great! Fabulous nail care routine :)

    ReplyDelete