Thursday 5 March 2015

World Book Day!

HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY!

Thursday 5th March 2015 was World Book Day in the UK and working in a school means I really get to celebrate it! 

Reading was a huge part of my childhood and I am slightly disappointed in myself that I don't read much - if at all - now as a young adult. When I was younger, I read for pure enjoyment, it would actually help me fall to sleep at night but now I'm guilty of being addicted to my smart phone!

As a child, I strongly remember reading the whole Mr Men and Little Miss collection by Roger Hargreaves. I adored my collection that we built up and remember sitting at the foot of my bookcase making sure they were all in order after reading one or two before going to sleep. My Mum still has the full collection, ready to share with her future grandchildren!

As I got older, I discovered Jacqueline Wilson and the Animal Ark series. As a family, we'd spend most Sundays at car-boot sales, where you'd find me searching through boxes and boxes of peoples books, to see if I could find anymore to add to my collection. It was mine and my Mum's mission to complete the collections! We did a fairly good job, but as I grew into my teenage years, my interest in Jacqueline Wilson fizzled out so I didn't keep up with her new stories. 

As a young teen, I fell in love with Louise Rennison's stories about Georgia Nicolson's confessions and her typical teenage drama's.
*apologies for the rubbish picture quality!😔*

 Again, I read and collected the whole series. I would laugh out loud in bed at the stories and my brother would constantly asked me what on earth I found so funny about a book?! I always had to wait for the next book to be published, I remember getting really excited when it appeared on the shelf and I'd have to stop myself from reading it cover to cover in one night! Once I'd read them all, I was gutted!

I think this is when my interest in reading slowly faded; MSN messenger and Facebook made an (huge) appearance in my life and the last time I read a book (an actual, real, hardback book) was over Christmas and New Year. Girl Online, written by Youtuber Zoella was on my Christmas list and reading her novel re-established my love and enjoyment for reading. 

I've made a pledge to myself to cut down on the amount of time spent on my iPhone, to pick up a book and lose myself in a story... 

Hopefully, I can bring some book reviews to my blog in the near future! Any recommendations?!

Watch this space!

Emma
-x- 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved the book series by Louise Rennison! I had them when I was younger and loved them but for whatever reason had thrown them away! About a year ago I remembered them and re brought them all to read them again!
    www.wanderfreeblog.wordpress.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete