Saturday 14 March 2015

Little Miss Sunshine D.I.Y 'costume'

So I'm not a huge fan of fancy dress and I'm definitely not the sort to go all out with make up and expensive costumes! However, if I get the chance to make something, I'm going to take it! 

It was World Book Day on the 5th March and I had two choices for my costume this year. Hermione Granger or Little Miss Sunshine. Considering my time frame and the fact I've never read any of the Harry Potter books (I adore the films!), I choose Little Miss Sunshine as she has a special place in my heart. 

I really enjoyed making this costume and I'm so incredibly proud of myself. If you wanna know how I made it then please read on! 

You will need*:
Yellow t-shirt (mine is from Primark)
Yellow felt 
Scrap of black felt
Black embroidery thread 
Needle 
Yellow wool 
Red ribbon
Wonder web 
Little Miss Sunshine template 
Black sharpie 
Scissors
PVA glue (optional)

At first I tried to draw my own template but being a perfectionist and not brilliant at drawing, I opted for using a Little Miss Sunshine colouring page - you can find lots of these on Google. 
Luckily, I could trace the outline of her through my felt using the sharpie. 
I then traced and cut out her 'hair' so I could make her more 3D. I also did this for her hands, nose and eyes (black felt). 
After cutting her out, I decided to flip the felt over so the pen marking weren't visible. 

Next, I started to sew on her nose and hair pieces, followed by sewing on her smile.
Then I attached her hands and used some PVA glue to attach her eyes.

Another 3D aspect that I decided to add was her hair. I made this using the wool. I unravelled the wool until I had a really, really long strand. I then folded it in half and half again until it was roughly 9 inches long. Then, using 3 separate strands of wool, I tied it to make the bunches in her hair. I then added a red bow and trimmed the wool to a neaten the ends. I attached the hair to her by sewing it with the embroidery thread, it was quite tricky but eventually seemed secure. 
After all that, she was ready to attach to my t-shirt. I did this using the embroidery thread again because it created her black outline. Due to making her hair 3D, it was too thick to sew so I used the wonderweb to attach the top part of her to the t-shirt. 
Lastly I used the black sharpie to draw on her freckles. 

I was so proud of myself and was so excited to wear her! I'm keen to make the whole Little Miss and Mr Men collection!! 
What character did you dress up as for World Book Day 2015?!? 

Emma 
-x-





*Disclaimer - everything was purchased with my own money and all opinions are my own*

3 comments:

  1. That's a really fun costume and a good use of a Primark t shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is so cute! Great idea for World Book Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! My sister loves Little Miss and Mr Men and I think she will love this and she loves getting creative. xx

    Kate's Wonderland - Fragrance of the Week HUGO BOSS Women

    ReplyDelete